So, our day started at 0645 hrs. I had to be told he was whimpering quietly as, unusually, I hadn't and could still not - hear him. Maybe a ploy by a certain someone to hog the bed to himself maybe!!!
Rolo was reminded how to come out of the crate, whihc took only a few minutes. I think he must remember us because, although he started off across the garden he soon turned to go to the girls in the kennel. We let them out and he took cover after only one or two minutes - they are boisterous first thing!! He then joined in a little!
I then had to go and help my dad out, so it was crate time. A chew helped there!
On my return it was time to go for our first session with Gaynor. There was some dissent, but I told him to shush and eventually he settled down in the car.
At Gaynor's, Rolo met the chickens, who put him in his place, as well as the Norfolk terriers and kenneled labradors who told him what they thought, albeit from a distance - he understood though.
Gaynor picked him up and gave him a good examination; teeth, ears, mouth, paws and more tender parts. She kept him there much longer than he wanted, to try to get him cross, but it didn't work, he squirmed for a bit and then gave it up and relaxed. At least we know that he is definitely not aggressive.
He wandered round for a while and then just relaxed on the patio.
Gaynor was happy with what she had seen in the class and the heel work as we arrived. We did some recall while he was playing, encouraging him with the voice and clapping hands while blowing the recall whistle (several repeated short blasts - pip, pip, pip, pip) followed by a big fuss when he came.
She then introduced him to a game of fetch to start off his retrieving. Introducing him to a tennis ball, 'hold' and 'give' so that he knows he can hold it, but must give it back when asked, at the same time, that does not mean he won't get it back. When he didn't release the ball, a 'Ah!..ah!' got him to give the ball up. The ball was then thrown, while he was restrained, and he was let go as him name was said. He ran to get the ball and then brought it back about five times before he got bored.
On our return, it was dinner time. This time, Rolo had his food put down whilst he was restrained and made to wait before he was allowed it. He was quite good - all moving forward.
Then, back into the crate while Bramble had her training walk. Much the same as I am doing with Rolo - and continue to do with Molly and Teasle to keep them on their toes. Which all goes to show that pup raising is ongoing.
By the time we were back, Alistair was out so Bramble and I had to sit on the wall for a while, but eventually we got back into the house. Rolo was very good this time, waiting to be invited out of the cage after just a couple of door closures. He played a little and then, after dinner we set off for a 10 minute walk around the block. Again, he was made to wait before we went out of the door. I went out and called him out. It was another wavy walk with backward turns and circles (its OK, they know me here - used to me and small brown dogs walking around in circles, stopping, blowing whistles etc.!) . Rolo is getting very good at walking to heel on the lead now an paying attention. I also did a stop where I sat him and walked the length of the lead away. He stayed until I went back to his side. I also walked back home around the roads, as close to the kerb as possible so that he gets used to cars going past. He was fine.
As we arrived home, I saw two children delivering a note next door. They were about 9 and 6 at a guess. I asked them if they minded dogs and would they mind being guinea pigs. I sat Rolo and had them approach. He did, naturally start to wag his tail and stand up. I sat him again and the elder, a girl, held out her hand to be sniffed and to stroke Rolo's head. Rolo just wagged his tail, well, all his lower half as befits a puppy. The young boy did the same, with the same effect, which was lovely.
As we arrived home, I saw two children delivering a note next door. They were about 9 and 6 at a guess. I asked them if they minded dogs and would they mind being guinea pigs. I sat Rolo and had them approach. He did, naturally start to wag his tail and stand up. I sat him again and the elder, a girl, held out her hand to be sniffed and to stroke Rolo's head. Rolo just wagged his tail, well, all his lower half as befits a puppy. The young boy did the same, with the same effect, which was lovely.
Rolo is now fast asleep at my feet - all that brain work has exhausted him!!!
Now the ironing board is up and Rolo has taken himself back into the crate for a rest as you can see!
Tomorrow Alistair will take some video of me doing the 'heel' exercise - he's out this evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment