Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Day 2 - heel and sit

So we then went outside for a little 'heel' and 'stay'. 

Rolo had to sit and wait as I went out of the door first.  He was then called out and called to heel, a pat on the thigh at the same time. This will eventually be sufficient to bring him to heel.

Weaving around, back and forth, Rolo knows he needs to pay attention to me. When I stop, he needs to be reminded to sit when I say 'sit' and blow the single blast 'sit' whistle. As soon as he is sitting he is told what a good boy he is.

Normally I do this on a ten minute walk - the video shows just a short portion of that walk. By the end of the walk, Rolo is walking and sitting well. He is also tired.

Remember! you can't tire a labrador out with exercise (maybe a whole day picking up - but then that is a lot of brain work too). His brain tires him out much more quickly - make him think!

I will try to upload the video here but am not having too much success today!

No comments:

Post a Comment