Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Another sunny day in paradise

Today was mainly troubleshooting.


We couldn't get him to smile or look really cute, as whenever I made the 'look cute' noises, he just got up and trotted to me!!!
Once I had increased Rolo's collar to maximum size; my 10 year old neighbour came around and off we went.  I made sure that Rolo came out of the house when asked and then briefed the young lady.  She took his lead and he walked with her.  She needed to be reminded to tell him he was a good boy, but slowly got into the rhythm of a sharp tug when he pulled forward or to the side and then to let the lead go loose. She stopped and started and weaved around and backwards and forwards.

We stopped on the first green and sat Rolo. I then showed my young friend how to walk around Rolo.  He moved once so we put him back in the same spot, told him he was a good boy and did the exercise again.  This time he stayed until we got back to his side and until we gave him a fuss.

Next we sat down on the grass with him. He immediately rolled over onto his back and opened his mouth.  He didn't move towards anyone but I held his muzzle and said 'No!' to his thoughts of puppy play.  We then sat there for a few minutes, stroking him and ruffling his fur while he simply lay there, rolling over for a tummy rub.

After a few minutes we got up again and my little friend walked Rolo around the block and home.  He walked nicely and sat when asked.

All in all a good exercise.

Lunch time brought the realisation that we were running out of food!!! I mixed in some of Teasle's Skinners' crunchy and Rolo seemed happy with that at lunch time :)

I repeated the sitting on the floor exercise several times, in different spots - in the house and garden. Rolo continued to be good as gold.  My own dogs came and stood over me as they do when I am on the floor. They dip their head respectfully but still occasionally push me over. Once Rolo thought it was a signal to play and opened his mouth to take Bramble's ear gently into his mouth. I told him 'No!' and he didn't try again.  He lay next to me peacefully. 

He is now resting with the others, covering  the kitchen and dining room floor.

Rolo is the one at the far end!

No comments:

Post a Comment